20 August 2007

Nobody Wants To Be the Last Writer of a Failed Document...

For better or worse, my second project at the company for which I recently started working is to produce their first attempt at creating and maintaining some sort of requirement documentation.

I’ve found the experience similar to levitating barnyard animals. You can levitate cattle, can’t you?

For me, the whole process has essentially boiled down to the fact that no-one is paying attention and I’m not sure anyone could say precisely why I’ve been given this quest for the holy specification, and neither could I. The environment is all wrong for the type of document that someone, somewhere has assigned me to write from morning to night. However, perhaps someone out there can make use out of these pieces of advice:

1. Make sure there is a compelling reason to be writing documentation, because, trust me, it’s expensive. For some reason, I’ve yet to receive a project to work on in my downtime and there is tons of downtime. If you’re a technical writer working on one of these documents, you have as much control over the weather as you do what belongs in the requirements document—the content is all determined by other people. You are just the goon they have bamboozled into taking whatever they write and making it into a giant document. Is that a harsh way to put it? Yes, it is, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t true

2. Find out who the audience is and who the key players are. Once you know these things, then pray that they are kind enough to keep you up-to-date and possibly even read what you have written. If you can’t discover who the key-players are or if you do and none of them are interested in your document, try and find out why the hell you’re writing the document. If your still writing the document and nobody still sends their info to you, then you have entered a, ummmmm what’s it called? O’ ya—a world of pain.

3. So far, my favorite article on writing specifications is this one:
http://www2.sims.berkeley.edu/courses/is208/s02/ReqsDoc.pdf
and before you ask; no, I do not know why this person decided to format their paragraph text in italics. My inclination is that she went crazy writing product specifications.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.